Saturday, November 7, 2009

Confessions of a gadget junkie

I never really explained just how much of gadget junkie I am. From the time I was about 6 years old I've always been into technology. At 6 I got my first tape recorder which I promptly took apart just to see how it worked. My mom was pretty pissed until she saw me put it back together. Then she was impressed and only helped to foster my obsession with technology. From then on I had every transistor radio, walk-man radio, boom box you can think of. Even the cool watches I had. Then personal computers hit the scene and it was over from there. It started with a Commodore 64....remember those? I'm dating myself.....I know.....but I make 38 look damn good! I had that for several years until it pooped out. No really, it did. I didn't take that apart. It was a long time before I got another computer, but it didn't stop me from playing every chance I got. I'd go to the apple store to play and I started taking computer science in school. Once I got into college I got another computer. By today's standards, it was just a big typewriter. Dot matrix printer, no internet access (there was no Internet back then), a monochrome monitor and it took 8 discs to load WordPerfect! I used the hell out of that thing too. Eventually as technology grew, my obsession grew. Every cool new gadget I had to have it. If I had to save for a year or wait for a month for it to be available in the US, I'll have it. When palm pilots came out, I had one. When they started coming out in color, I got one of those too. When cell phones started getting more advanced I got into those too. Eventually I have amassed two desktops, a 17" HP, 15.4" compaq, and now my latest acquisition, my Samsung N140 netbook. It is soooo cool and I have a feeling that I'll be using this for quite some time. It's got a huge hard drive (250 gigs), and fast processor (N280), a fat graphics card, 3 USB ports with 2 of them being chargeable even when the computer is off, 10.1 inch screen, draft n wireless, multi-touch touch pad, 6-cell battery, and it only weights 2.8 pounds. It's got a gorgeous deep burgundy lid and an anti-glare screen. I love it and I'm looking forward to the many hours I'll be spending with it.

No comments: